If you press your face up to a fan - one of those pedestal fans on a pole, like this one:
- you'll find yourself in the midst of unceasing drama and action and change and excitement and turmoil.
But pull your attention just a couple of inches backward to the center point of those spinning blades - right where the incoming air gathers to be expelled - and you'll find, strangely, utter stillness and peace. That place is home. It's the source - the unchanging "cause" - while all the rest is varied "effect".
You have a choice: to identify with the turmoil or with the source of it all (i.e. with the peace you actually are).
As I once wrote, I spend at least fifteen minutes after every gym workout in a lethargic slump. For several years, my slumping bench positioned me in view of a pedestal fan. Like Vasudeva (Hermann Hesse's ferryman) and his river, I pondered pretty much every ramification of that fan.
- The Fan
- Midterm Elections
- How We Got Trolled Yesterday: The Story You DIDN'T...
- Nationalism: The Shrinking "Us" and the Swelling "...
- Crazy Like Foxes: We're Being Trolled
- Another View of Marches, Plus More Daily 202 Ravin...
- Skin in the Game
- Endlessly Reminding You That We Hate You
- The Inauguration's Empty Bleachers
- Maybe Cool it With the Sushi
- Car Stereo Layla
- Brace for President Pence
- Clickbait Score
- Official News feed of Democratic Peoples Republic ...
- A Quiet Truth About Working in the Arts
- Leaking Back to Russia...Or the Appearance Thereof...
- New Hero: Carlos Kleiber
- Trolling Trump on Russia
- High Impenetrability From My Pointy Pointy Head
- Cooking for a Sensation of Vitality
- Celebrate Good Times....Come On!
- ▼ January (23)
- ► 2016 (202)
- ► 2015 (130)
- ► 2014 (147)
- ► 2013 (165)
- ► 2012 (209)
- ► 2011 (193)
- ► 2010 (175)
- ► 2009 (239)